Five Marketing Facts from Philly
by Jason Skinner, CMO - Wednesday, September 19, 2012
In case you couldn't make it to the City of Brotherly Love, here are a few highlights from day one of the SHSMD 2012 Annual Conference:
- Inbound marketing content is focused on you. Outbound content is focused on your audience.
- Smartphones and tablets are here to stay, so consider mobile audiences with ALL of your marketing efforts.
- Measuring digital advertising's effectiveness by the number of impressions is like measuring ROI by the number of people who see your billboard. Instead, SEM/online ads should be measured based on calls to action, conversions, and downstream utilization.
- Measure everything. In fact, a good benchmark is to allocate 10% of your marketing budget to measurement, which can include surveys, CRM, and other research and analytic tools to track effectiveness.
- Marketers should always think strategically no matter the channel. In the same way we shouldn't just be expected to "whip up a brochure," we shouldn't become the ones who just "whip up a video" without a strategy behind it.